A Bad Day's Work


On average, we spend about 30 percent of our human life working.

Depressing right?

Probably not if you love your job. Which is probably why (most of ) our parents instill in us from a young age that they don’t care what we do as long as we are happy. Blaa blaa. We dismiss this on our way to our grueling internship telling them they don’t understand the world anymore and it has all changed since the free- loving sixties.

I remember when I  had just started a new job. The previous office manager had quit leaving me in charge of post. My boss was being particularly psychotic and called me into a meeting in front of my manager to illustrate how badly I had packaged up a box of product by stamping on the box repeatedly until it broke and then handing it back to me. I left his office and burst into tears. I didn’t want to cry but  I felt awkward. My manager felt awkward. We all felt awkward. It was a nasty and a quite frankly strange way to do something. I was fairly new to the business and immediately decided that work environment wasn’t for me. The rest of  that day was utterly crap with everything going wrong and I just couldn’t wait until 5.30pm when I could run away to the pub and drink a bottle of wine and moan to my poor sympathetic friends about how I was totally done with that place and that mad nutter running it. 

I wanted to write this post to let you know we all have these kinds of days. They are horrible and they can completely knock your confidence. Well, don’t let them. In all honesty, my director was probably having a shitty day and I was an easy target. Maybe this boxing was the final thing that tipped him over the age. My point is, don’t let affect you. Do whatever you need to do that evening to feel better. Meet up with friends, go out for dinner, drink two bottles of Prosecco  and watch the entire box set of Ab Fab. Whatever you need to do. My point is that our happiness is the most important thing.  Tomorrow is a new day.  Do not put up with ever letting someone make you feel worthless or insignificant in the workplace. 

Most of all believe in yourself. You are 3000 % worth it and deserve to be happy.

No comments